Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?



I have been diagnosed with severe panic disorder. In the last two years I have tried almost every drug made with no luck. It is very difficult for me to go out in public but there are some days that it is not so bad. My question is: Is there a none drug possibility I could suggest to my doctor? When I use meds I seem to have lots of side effects including high blood pressure.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

As mentioned before in this column, there is a very helpful form of psychotherapy for panic disorder called ‘mastery of anxiety and panic’. This therapy is a formalization of more general (but also highly effective) cognitive behavioral therapy for panic and anxiety. It involves no medications, and tends to produce very good results for panicking clients who go through it. Call around your community asking for this therapy (or cognitive behavioral therapy for panic) by name and see if you can find someone who offers it locally.

More "Ask Dr. Dombeck" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand