1-888-993-3112

Panic

Question:

I have been diagnosed with severe panic disorder. In the last two years I have tried almost every drug made with no luck. It is very difficult for me to go out in public but there are some days that it is not so bad. My question is: Is there a none drug possibility I could suggest to my doctor? When I use meds I seem to have lots of side effects including high blood pressure.

Answer:

As mentioned before in this column, there is a very helpful form of psychotherapy for panic disorder called ‘mastery of anxiety and panic’. This therapy is a formalization of more general (but also highly effective) cognitive behavioral therapy for panic and anxiety. It involves no medications, and tends to produce very good results for panicking clients who go through it. Call around your community asking for this therapy (or cognitive behavioral therapy for panic) by name and see if you can find someone who offers it locally.