My girlfriend of 2 years and i recently broke up yet maintain a prosperous friendship. Promptly upon breaking up she became physically involved with a ‘friend’ from work. This i have no problem with, however, she is very loathe to even bear the thought of me becoming physical with another woman to the point where she cant deal with me interacting with out mutual female friends. She demands things like ‘It’s her or me’ and i don’t even have romantic let alone sexual feelings for any of these people. It’s like in a way she acts as if we are still dating. How does one confront this situation considering she is a highly emotional and irrational person?
- ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
- ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
Okay, so your ex-girlfriend is holding you to a double standard and she’s willing to get hysterical if you step out of line. I agree she shouldn’t be doing this, but I don’t think this is her problem, so much as I think it is yours. She is free to act any way she choses towards you so long as she doesn’t break any laws. In so doing she will need to face the consequences of her behavior. The consequences of her behavior will have to come from you, however. What I’m saying is that it is you who is letting her hold you hostage over your romantic life. You can ‘confront’ this situation assertively by doing what you need to do with regards to new relationships, and continuing to be loving towards your friend, and not taking it on when she does her emotional dance to try and make you feel guilty. If you’ve acted ethically towards her (and I hope you have), then she may be hurt, but she has no legitimate claim over you and what you choose to do. Can you accept that she will be hurt? That will be the price of your freedom. Read up on Assertiveness Training. I think that will help.