1-888-993-3112

Prozac Questions

Question:

Is it true that Prozac is recognized as a miracle drug which cures depression? and if not is there any antidepressant medication that does?

Answer:

Prozac is an anti-depressant medicine, but it is certainly not a ‘miracle’ drug. Prozac is one of many drugs now on the market belonging to a class of medications called Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (or SSRIs). Other SSRIs (or next-generation ‘atypical’ SSRI-based medicines) include Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, Effexor and a bunch of newer medicines. SSRIs have been scientifically studied and shown to help many depressed people to feel somewhat better. None of these medicines, however, should be thought of a ‘cure’ for depression (where cure is understood to mean that the underlying depression is permanently eradicated. SSRI and other anti-depressant medications often have inconvenient side effects (some of them make it very difficult for people to have an orgasm). They also typically only work for as long as you continue to take them. Reoccurrence of depression when medication is stopped is relatively high. There are high quality alternatives to medication for the treatment of depression. Specifically, Cognitive Therapy for Depression, and Interpersonal Therapy for Depression are forms of psychotherapy (talk therapy) that have been shown scientifically to work about as well as medication treatment for depression in the short term. Over the long term (after active treatment has stopped) Cognitive Therapy has been shown to be more effective in keeping future depressions at bay than medication. Not all therapists can offer quality Cognitive Therapy – You’ll need to find a psychologist or social worker who has been trained in this modality in order for it to work properly. It is possible to combine psychotherapy and medication therapy for depression – ask your doctor about this.

• Lyssa

I met my boyfriend through an online rpg, along with several of his offline friends. They actually got me to the point where I was playing the game regularly, cuz' they were looking for a single-target healer, or an OT and MT healer (ie, the one that heals the tanks, since most of the other healing classes consisted of raid heals- people that healed the other 10-25-40 people in the group).

We all hung out for three years together. Before I was with my boyfriend, I had a massive crush- and even fell in love- with his friend. We were really close, and even got so far as to be talking on the phone for 5+ hours a day. All the guys I met on there were much more open and interested in telling their stories than many guys I've met offline. xD Granted, I knew because I knew them, that the two dudes I got closest to- my bf, and my ex bf- were shy mofos in real life.

However, that only made me like them more. :3 One Thanksgiving, I went out to go visit my friend (who I was crushing on at the time) to stay with his family. I hit it off with both him, and my current bf and the year that followed was just about making this huge decision that would alter my life forever. Now, I live with my boyfriend and we have a house- he's not very talkative, and I can be real snappy- but despite any shortcomings we have, we still love each other very much.. also his family is awesome!! Cyber love does exist, if you are willing to be loyal, and capable of accepting it.

Some people can't get over the need to see/feel/touch the person they meet- but I feel that the connection you can get through words and strength of will in maintaining a long distance relationship is beautiful. Loving connection in general is.. whatever the scenario. No need to complicate it more than that.

• Glenda COSENZA

Well I've dreamed of a passionate, romantic love with a man since I was 12 (I'm now 66) and it's never happened -- until NOW -- with a much younger man (who is attracted to older women) and with whom I have explored the heights and depths of unimagineable passion and excitement and joy and common interests. I think online romance has many advantages but also potential disadvantages. My lover has not told me many things -- many pieces of information are missing. And he avoids discussing us meeting in person -- and I'm very very sad and worried actually by that. But....I cannot cut it or him off. I genuinely love this man. We'll see what happens.......