1-888-993-3112

PTSD

Question:

I was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome in my late teens and spent several months in the hospital. I am now in my mid thirties and am very concerned as the symptoms I had seemed to have re-appeared this past year and it is getting harder to hide and control my behavior. Is it possible for me to relapse after managing to stay off medication for nearly ten years? I could really do with some sound advice as I am a single mum now, with four small children, and I really don’t want to end up back in hospital.

Answer:

It is entirely possible to experience a relapse of PTSD, especially when someone is under pressure and difficulties. However, that does not mean that a hospitalization is required.

From what you imply in your E. Mail, you are either divorced, widowed or never wed, but, under any circumstances, you find your self being a single mom. Being responsible for four small children and without a partner is difficult to say the least. There is no surprise that you may be experiencing a relapse.

However, I want to make perfeclty clear that you should not do a self diagnosis regardless of what happened in the past. Instead, you should get an appointment with a therapist, either a clinical social worker or a clinical psychologist so that you can begin dealing with the present pressures to which you are currently being subjected.

It is very possible that you are undergoing not only stress but anxiety, worry and depression as well. Psychotherapy is the best way to deal with these pressures instead of scaring yourself with diagnoses all by yourself.

A single mom of four! Wow, is there any wonder that you are upset? Go and get help immediately.