Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Public Menace


What steps have to be taken so a family member can be forced into getting the help needed. He is alcoholic and depended on illicit drugs and in my opinion does have a mental disorder. He is a danger to himself and to the public.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

Unfortunately there is very little that can be done, at least here in the USA. Your family member may indeed be ill as well as a danger to self and others, but he or she is still an adult and has the right to determine his or her own destiny, even if that destiny will ultimately end in death. Police will be unwilling to intervene unless there is an acute emergency or a threat against someone’s life. Hospitals can’t help much either. And no treatment that I’m aware of can force anyone to participate without a court order from a judge (as in the case of court referred treatment for sex-offenders). But judges don’t tend to order therapy for drug addicts and alcoholics – instead they tend to lock these people up. As an old Psychiatrist mentor of mine once said, “You have the right to die with your rights on”.

More "Ask Dr. Dombeck" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand