I have been married for two and a half years and have a beautiful two month old son. I found out that my husband has had numerous affairs. I want so much to trust him again, but I am afraid he will just cheat on me again. What advice do you have? Should I give him another chance or should I just walk away? I am so confused. Please help.
- ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
- ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
How willing is your husband to work things out? The two of you must both be dedicated to fixing the damage that has been done. Yes, it is possible to put the pieces back together, but that depends on your ability to forgive him. Oftentimes an extramarital affair can ruin a marriage, but there have been instances in which it has actually brought the couple closer together. Perhaps the threat of losing you is enough to keep your husband from cheating again…you won’t know until you try. I suggest the two of you consult a marriage counselor. If things don’t work out the second time around, you won’t be left wondering what if… Hope that helps, – Anne