Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Rocky Marriage, Part II


Recently my husband of 4 years dropped a bomb on me. He told me he still had feelings for an old girlfriend he used to date. They had been in recent contact due to a “bad” relationship she had entered and when it turned sour, she looked to my husband for help, which he gave her. Then he tells me that our different religious beliefs are making him question whether or not he wants to be with our son and I any longer. I don’t know whether all of this is due to the feelings for the other woman or whether there is another underlying problem. Please, do you have any advice?

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
  • ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
  • Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
  • ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

Good question, and I’m not sure you alone can answer it. What it sounds like is that the two of you need couples counseling, and you need it quick! The counselor will help you and your husband sort out this mish-mash of feelings and see what the real problem is. Maybe it’s the old flame. Maybe it’s a general unhappiness with parts of the marriage. Pinpointing his discontent can help you both save the marriage and survive this crisis, but only if the two of you want to and pull together. All too often in situations like this, couples will let themselves drift apart, and divorce soon follows. Maybe it’s too late, maybe it’s not. Only by talking it out between the two of you will you be able to find out for sure. Hope that helps, – Anne

More "Ask Anne" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand