I want to know if i am seriously jealous of anyone that is a female around my boyfriend, including his mother, is that some sort of psychological disorder?
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
My first guess would probably be that the word “insecurity” would be a better description than “psychological disorder” for what you are describing. But then again, I have no idea really what you mean when you say “seriously jealous”, and nor do I know anything about your past relationship history. Being insecure after having lived a pleasant childhood would be weird; it would make sense if you have had issues and abuse situations at the hands of females before. If you’re concerned about this, I recommend seeing if you can talk about it with a counselor for a few sessions. It could take a load off your mind to share it with someone safe and get a better handle on what is happening.