Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Severely Depressed


I’m suffering from a severe depression. I’ve had it for a year. I’ve tried various treatments such as St. Johns Wort and Paroxetine but nothing has helped. I took ecstasy and related drugs from 1990 through 1996 when I gave them up with the aid of counseling. I’m at my wits end. I’ve lost family, friends and my girlfriend because of my depression. I’m frequently feeling suicidal. I want to know what treatment you can recommend, and if the drugs have caused my condition.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

There is no way to tell if your past drug use caused your current depression but it is safe to say that it didn’t help. You will need to be completely sober from now on if you want to help your mood. It sounds like you’ve been trying (unsuccessfully) to manage your depression by yourself with over the counter remedies. That didn’t work. Now try something different that will have a good chance of working. Make an appointment to see a Psychologist or Psychiatrist as soon as you can. A Psychiatrist can prescribe anti-depressant medication (sometimes they are half decent therapists too), while a Psychologist is an expert in psychotherapy. You want a therapy that is specific to depression such as Cognitive Therapy for Depression, or Interpersonal Therapy for Depression. A more general sort of psychotherapy might be helpful too, but is less likely to teach you the skills you need to get and stay better. Often a combination of both medication and psychotherapy is the best treatment. Please start making these appointments today. You can’t afford to wait given your suicidal feelings.

More "Ask Dr. Dombeck" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand