Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Sexually Frustrated In Kansas


I love my wife very much and have reason to feel she feels the same, emotionally, anyway. But from the beginning, my wife has always been uncomfortable with physical intimacy. Over the years, our marriage has evolved from bad, infrequent sex to horrific, very rare sex. The situation has left me very frustrated and depressed for many years. The situation has devolved to where it feels intolerable. Counseling isn’t an option. My wife is always willing to talk about fixing me, but will walk out of the office if the “s” word is even mentioned. Divorce is not an option for many reasons, most important of which, is its morally unacceptable. I don’t know how to live with this situation and I don’t know what else I can do.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
  • ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
  • Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
  • ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

You seem to suggest, between the lines, that you and your wife have been to counseling before regarding this issue of mismatched sexual needs, and that she has literally refused to address the issue. That is a true shame if that is the case, because your desire for a regular and satisfying sexual life with your wife is a very reasonable thing for you to want. Normal people want a sex life. It is rather abnormal that your wife would be so anti-sexual; There may have been some sexual abuse in her history, for all we know. She may be living with the consequences of abuse. If that is the case, it is a shame that she cannot bring herself to get professional help. It is frightening to do so, particularly when abuse was extended or horrific, but it can be very freeing too. If she won’t go to therapy with you, has she ever indicated that she might go on her own?

At any rate, it seems (by your report) that you’ve written off the possibility of your wife changing her tune, and you won’t change your tune either. Your all but impossible to solve task now is to figure out a way to best adapt to your all-but-sexless circumstance.

You seem to be a moral man; so much so perhaps that you may be extreme in that capacity. Most men cannot or will not control their impulses so well. They would find a clandestine outlet for their sexuality rather than suffer alone. I point this out not because I think that you should find is what you should do, so much as I want you to see that your morality literally has you in a vice-grip in this instance. Your sexuality is now hostage to your wife’s anger or issues. There is literally nothing acceptable you can do for yourself in the way of sexual expression that will feel guilt free, I think. In marriage you pledge to be faithful to one woman, and the unspoken but very real corollary to that pledge is that your faith is supposed to be rewarded with sex. Only, here, in your situation, you aren’t getting any. My hat is off to you for your faithfulness, it is a really good and beautiful thing to see in action, but it is also that very faithfulness that is causing you such pain. You need to find a way to relax some of that faithfulness of yours just a little, I think, or simply resign yourself to your present pain for the rest of your days. Ow!

I assume that if you are not willing to divorce on moral grounds, that the thought of taking a mistress, or making a regular date with a prostitute or escort is equally repugnant to you. That seems to leave only one good option, which is masturbation. I’m not sure how you feel about masturbation, but I think in your case, it would be a good idea. You need to find a sexual release which is morally acceptable, and masturbation seems to be the only one that doesn’t involve cheating.

When I recommend masturbation to you, I’m not recommending porn – let me be clear about that. Porn is designed to be ultra-stimulating, and it seems to provoke addictive and obsessional tendences in some men who use it. Also, people who use porn tend to feel guilty about that use, and I don’t want to see a moral person like yourself have another thing to feel guilty about.

This is a really difficult circumstance you are in, I think. Your very goodness as a person has become “intolerable” given your commitments. You need to find a way to retain your goodness without becoming a martyr at the same time. I think that masturbation might go a long way towards this goal. I hope you are open to it, or to some other similar creative solution.

More "Ask Anne" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand