1-888-993-3112

Should I Seek Help?

Question:

I am 20 years old. I am expecting a baby in March 08. I have no job and I currently do not attend school. I feel sad all the time. I feel angry and dissapointed at myself. I don’t feel like I can do anything. I don’t sleep at night and when I am able to sleep, I wake feeling like there is nothing to get out of bed for. I feel helpless and hopeless. What am I worth? I have no friends and my boyfriend and I don’t get along. Maybe its because I’m not happy with myself, but I’m not sure.

Answer:

The answer to your question, "Should I Seek Help" is absolutely Yes. You are experiencing very serious depression. What is significant for you is that your depression will impact on your baby, once the birth takes place, as well your self. Besides the fact that you deserve to feel happy we also know that the mother’s depression causes her to be unavailable to her child. The long term result of the mother’s unavailability to her baby is that he/she will grow up to feel depressed. Therefore, it is important for you to seek help for you own sake as well as that of your unborn baby.

What you should do is speak to your Gynecologist or other Healthcare provider and ask about anti depressant medicine. The question about this is always about the impact on the fetus of the mother taking anti depressants. Medical Doctors have varied opinions about this but there are many who now believe it is safer to help the mother feel better than to risk a possible suicide. However, you need to speak to your MD about this, whether that MD is in a clinic or hospital.

The fact that you feel angry and cannot sleep is not good for you or your baby. You need to be getting plenty of rest and healthy nutrition in order that you experience a normal birth and that your baby be fully intact and happy. The sooner you get help the sooner this can happen.

There is another point that I want to emphasize and it is that after you give birth there are programs that allow young mothers, such as your self. to return to school and with their baby. In fact, there are some High Schools, assuming that you have no diploma, that provide child care at the school while the mother attends classes. They also provide counseling and emotional support for the mother and baby.

Lastly, there are programs in many communities that provide lots of support for young, unmarried pregnant women, so that they can get food, clothes and proper nutrition for themselves and the fetus.

Please try not to feel disappointed in your self. You are very young and have your entire future ahead of you. With medication and support you can achieve all the goals you want for your self and for your infant.

To learn about some of the programs I have mentioned you can inquire at the MD office I have mentioned, do a computer search or call the local Social Security Office and find out what you are entitled to. If you do not have your diploma or GED call your local Board of Education and learn what is available to you.