Help me! I think I’ve fallen in love with my best friend’s boyfriend. He is so great, and I don’t know what to do. Some people say that I shouldn’t do anything about it, and others say I should go for it. Sometimes he seems to express interest in me with the things he says, but then I think that he is just being nice to me because of my friend. Help!
- ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
- ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
You have a tough decision to make. You can tell him how you feel and have him either turn you down or agree. If you do this, chances are you will lose your friend. Only you can make this decision. Personally I would want to be sure he likes me before I risk losing a friendship. The most important thing to take into consideration is your friend. Do you value her friendship? My friends and I swore we would never let men come between us. Is your friend especially happy with this guy? Just remember a guy might not be there for you at all times, but friends are forever. Good luck with your decision. And make sure you really, really think about this one. Best of luck, – Anne