Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Suffering In The Country


I need some help, I am at my wits end. My husband is a recovering addict of 3 years. We have been married for 9 years. I have 3 teenage daughter from a previous marriage. My problem is that I feel like there is no hope for my marriage or life I am sick of the fighting and getting blamed for everything that goes wrong in our marriage. I live in the country and can’t get to a meeting (alanon or nar-anon) I don’t know what to do with myself. I don’t have any friends to talk with about this or family. Talk about feeling alone! I have bad thoughts running thru my head and I feel as if I might just explode if there is another fight, over stupid things. Help with any advise would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
  • ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
  • Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
  • ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

You badly need to find community. You need support and you need to take steps to find some of support. I think if it is possible, you should drive to the nearest alanon or nar-anon meeting, even if it is very far away and difficult to get to. You just need the support! A number to call for information on finding meetings of Alanon (within the USA and Canada) is 1-888-425-2666 (M-F; 8 – 6 ET). If this is not possible, please hook up with one of the various internet support communities that are out there. has a good one that can be accessed here. Another board is available at You can find Alanon resources on the web at It sounds like you could also benefit from marriage counseling, or individual counseling to help you to cope and to work on preserving your marriage, or helping you to get out of it if that is in your best interest.If a real-world therapist won’t work for you (because of distance), you may find that internet therapy can be of help. I can’t vouch for how well online therapy works, but a number of online therapy clinics have opened recently and can be tried out. A good one to try (backed by prominant doctors) is Please also contact your local domestic violence shelter/women’s center if you are being abused physically or verbally or emotionally. Your life is too precious to allow yourself to be continually harmed by an abusive man.

More "Ask Anne" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand