1-888-993-3112

Suicidal

Question:

I’m suicidal and because of that i don’t care about many things such as school and life all together. But I do want to give life a last shot. What should I do?

Answer:

You say that you are suicidal and therefore you don’t care about things. However, it’s probably more likely the other way around. You’re maybe significantly depressed, which causes you to not care about things (a common symptom of depression), and because you don’t care about things, you’ve lost the will to live and are having suicidal thoughts. Depression is a treatable illness. There are medicines you can take that will probably be able to lift your mood to a significant degree. There are forms of psychotherapy – specifically Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Depression – which can help teach you to question and talk back to your depressing thoughts, in effect weakening their ability to depress you, and thereby improving your mood. I strongly urge you to do two things: 1) see a doctor as soon as you can to see if you are depressed, and whether medication or psychotherapy could help, and then 2) comply with the therapy your doctor recommends.