Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Suzanne Writes:


I am 28 and have a bipolar affective disorder. I have had a really bad year. I lost my job in March as a result of my employer finding out about my disability. This was 2 months before my wedding. My fiancee and I decided to keep up our plans to marry. My father died 6 days before the wedding. I have been adjusting to mood stabilizing meds and still haven’t found a job. My husband, whom I love dearly, and I are having increased difficulty communicating. I have asked him countless times to go to counseling and he is hesitant. How can I convince him of the importance? Thanks in advance for your help. Suzanne :)

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
  • ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
  • Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
  • ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

Many times when couples are experiencing difficulty in their relationship it is the husband who is hesitant to seeking outside help. Let him know your thoughts. Tell him that you are having problems communicating with him. It is very common for one person in a relationship to perceive problems while the other person thinks everything is fine. Do both of you acknowledge that your relationship is experiencing some problems? Have the two of you tried to remedy these problems? Make it clear to him that this problem may not be one that the two of you can resolve on your own. Remind him that your disability makes your situation a difficult one. Suggest that the two of you see a therapist on a trial basis. Remember, it takes two people to foster a healthy relationship. Good Luck, – Anne

More "Ask Anne" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand