1-888-993-3112

Suzanne Writes:

Question:

I am 28 and have a bipolar affective disorder. I have had a really bad year. I lost my job in March as a result of my employer finding out about my disability. This was 2 months before my wedding. My fiancee and I decided to keep up our plans to marry. My father died 6 days before the wedding. I have been adjusting to mood stabilizing meds and still haven’t found a job. My husband, whom I love dearly, and I are having increased difficulty communicating. I have asked him countless times to go to counseling and he is hesitant. How can I convince him of the importance? Thanks in advance for your help. Suzanne :)

Answer:

Many times when couples are experiencing difficulty in their relationship it is the husband who is hesitant to seeking outside help. Let him know your thoughts. Tell him that you are having problems communicating with him. It is very common for one person in a relationship to perceive problems while the other person thinks everything is fine. Do both of you acknowledge that your relationship is experiencing some problems? Have the two of you tried to remedy these problems? Make it clear to him that this problem may not be one that the two of you can resolve on your own. Remind him that your disability makes your situation a difficult one. Suggest that the two of you see a therapist on a trial basis. Remember, it takes two people to foster a healthy relationship. Good Luck, – Anne