1-888-993-3112

The Marriage Corner: How Do We Get Through This?

Question:

How long have you been together? 11 yrs

What is your age range? 30-35

Please share your story: I found out my wife was in an inappropiate relationship with a co-worker about 7 years ago. We talked through everything and my wife told me they were only friends. There were signs that there was more but I held onto the thought that she could never cheat on me.

It has bothered me terribly for all this time and would make me resentful of her even though I love her. We have had many arguements over these 7 years and I’ve said some pretty mean things in anger. Each time, my wife would let a little more of the story out.

This past fall she admitted that she had been in an emotional affair with the guy, but there was never any physical contact. She finally just told me a few days ago that they did have sex one time. I’m crushed, but am willing to make an attempt to work through this. The worst part is, I feel she is getting a pass for what she did.

• Marriage Corner staff respond to your marriage problems questions from the perspective of training in clinical mental health and psychotherapy.
  • The intent of Marriage Corner and Mentalhelp.net is to provide to provide general educational information to the readership of this website. Responses from staff and readers should not be understood as psychotherapy or specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by the Mentalhelp.net staff or to people making their submissions. No correspondence takes place.
  • Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. MentalHelp.net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. This includes making any changes to your personal relationships. If you are taking medications or are in psychotherapy, do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication and do not stop psychotherapy without first consulting with your physician or psychotherapist.
Answer:

Infidelity is one of the leading causes of divorce. It eats away at the very foundation of marriage and that is trust. So, even though this happened seven years ago, you have sensed it all along and, naturally, it has bothered you.

However, it is important for you to keep in mind that a third person brought into a marriage through an extramarital affair is usually a symptom of things that are wrong in the marriage. That does not forgive what you wife did, it does provide some explanation. The question that you and she need to ask and work on finding the answer to is, what is not working between the two of you? In order to move past this, both of you need to do lots of talking and exploring.

By the way, your wife is not getting what you call “a free pass.” She is an adult and not a child and should not be treated like one. Most probably, this has bothered her all along and is why she kept it hidden. After all, she never asked for a divorce but felt a need, for some reason, to have this affair.

If you both need help in moving beyond what happened seven years ago, there is always marriage therapy. Whatever the impediments have been in your relationship can be discussed securely with an objective person in the form of the therapist. That can help you avoid future mistakes as you learn to better communicate.

While it is possible to speak of forgiveness, in my opinion, this exploration must first occur. Remember, you played a role in this. You wife did not handle your marriage problems well. Instead of talking things over, she went outside the marriage.

Ultimately, both of you need to rebuild trust together.

What are the opinions of other readers?

More "Marriage Corner" View Columnists

• Jean

I think t is important to realize that the partner who chooses to cheat is ultimatley responsible for the actual demise of a marriage. While it takes two to make a marriage, it only takes one to break that bond. Every marriage goes through ups and downs. No amount of excuses will ever amount to anything when a person decides to subject their spouse and children to a whole world of depravity. People get hurt when you demand