1-888-993-3112

Therapy For Cutters

Question:

I am trying to face my past and trying to figure out what type of therapy can best help me. I am a cutter, and am taking medication.

Answer:

For those out there who don’t know too much about it – ‘Cutting’ is a form of self-mutilation that some people engage in. Frequently, cutters will use a blade of some sort to draw blood. Their intent is generally not to kill themselves, but rather to punish themselves or to ‘bring themselves back’ after or during an episode of dissociation. Some people who cut also describe how cutting brings a feeling of control back to their lives that is otherwise absent. Cutting is frequently associated with Borderline Personality Disorder – although there is no exclusive connection between them. While medications are an important part of treatment for cutting, they generally are not enough to stop it from continuing to occur.

<

p>The best form of therapy that I know of regarding the treatment of cutting (and BPD as well) is Dialectical Behavior Therapy, a (heavily) modified cognitive behavioral therapy developed by Psychologist Marsha Linenhan. In the last several years knowledge and acceptance of DBT has become very widespread. Many USA communities will have at least one or two practitioners who can offer a therapy based on DBT principles and technique.