Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Toxic Parents


I am 44 years old and have dealt with physical mental sexual and emotional abuse. I have quit drinking and drugging for about 12 years now (thank god) my doctor put me on zanax for 6 years and I finally weaned myself off of it, and started having panic attacks again. he put me on Zoloft which has been a life saver for me. anyway I finally confronted my step mother and biological father about the abuse and I was sorry I did that but I was so angry at them at the time. my father told me that that never happened that he thinks I have a mental disease and that my step mother would never allow something like that to go on. the problem is they did do what they did, it is as vivid in my mind today as the day it happened. I tried to have a relationship with them and I do love my dad, but it’s always turmoil and fighting and I want to be left alone, my friends treat me better than them. I do feel very guilty though for what I have started. I called my dad and told him that I needed to stay away for awhile. he told me that he was very angry at the lies that I told (they are not lies). do I need to just stay away from these people?

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

The name of the game when dealing with ongoing abuse is to get it to stop so that no further harm is done. If your parents are continuing to harm you then you may very well be best off by avoiding them. You certainly can have permission to avoid them, if you want to do that (you can give yourself permission to stay away from them, and that is good enough – It is more than okay for you to protect yourself from harm). If there is even the hint that being with them would push you back into drug or alcohol abuse, then by all means avoid them. It will have to be your call as to what you decide to do, however. As you say, you love these people, even though they have hurt you. Please seek out the support and guidance of other people you trust in making this decision.

More "Ask Dr. Dombeck" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand