1-888-993-3112

Unhappy And In Therapy

Question:

I am currently in therapy, I have discovered that I am entremely codependent and suffer from awful depression, low self-esteem. I was abandoned by my mother when I was 13 and lived with my alcoholic father until I married. I married a workaholic, we have been married 17 years and in all that time I have fought tooth and nail for every minute of attention for the children or myself. I hate myself and feel worthless. I need real help any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

The real help you need you should already be getting — in therapy. Only through the help of a guide — a professional therapist –and other appropriate treatment (depression is often treated with medications as well), will you eventually feel better. But therapy is a process, not an instant cure. It helps you learn how to build yourself back up into the person you know, somewhere deep down in your heart, you are. It helps you learn new coping skills, and build upon your relationships with others. It takes time and patience on your part, and a willingness to change, learn new things, and put into practice the new things you learn. Good luck! Take care, – Anne