1-888-993-3112

What Is It?

Question:

Hi there,

My Grandad has recently lost his daughter through a brain tumor. This was a big loss to us all but I think my Grandad has been affected the most. We have all noticed a change in him: He hears voices in his head and he is very paranoid, but he won’t let my Nana (his wife) phone anyone regarding his condition. He also can be very aggressive at times and very restless. He will also go out without telling anyone where he is going. We are all getting worried and think that he needs some sort of help.

Kind regards, Nimnoms13

Answer:

You are quite right when you say that your Grandad needs an intervention. It is true that the loss of a child is overwhelming for any parent regardless of their age. On one level I am sure he is overwhelmed with grief.

However, there could be a lot more going on as evidenced by his agitation and and auditory hallucinations. Of course, I can only guess as to what that might be. Here are some possibilities. He could be experiencing the onset of Alzheimer’s disease as the symptoms match what you describe. That disease would be separate and apart from his tragic loss.

He could also be experiencing major depression, an agitated depression that carries hallucinations with it. He could have both Alzheimers and depression.

He may have a medical condition causing his problems, even strokes.

He needs to be seen by an MD and if he won’t go the family may need to take strong action to get him to an MD. You say he is getting aggressive and that allows for a call to 911 when that happens.

Get help fast. Time is of the essence.