1-888-993-3112

Whats Wrong With Me?

Question:

When i was younger, i suffered from verbal bullying, when i was about 15 and i still haven’t recovered from it four years later. I can’t stop thinking about things and i keep going over things in my head. I struggle to create conversation be it by phone or text message and i isolate myself due to my lack of social confidence and the huge effort it is to talk to somebody. I also suffer from terrible mood swings, and i seem to have no distinct personality. I find it strange that i have changed so dramatically and have no understanding of whats wrong with me, how to help myself and how to rediscover who i am. Do you have any idea what could be wrong with me?

Answer:

I want to urge you to read Dr. Dombeck’s essay entitled "The Long Term Effects of Bullying."

Dr. Dombeck correctly points out that bullying is abusive behavior. Those who were bullied in or out of school are left with feelings of depression, helplessness, hopelessness and low self esteem. It appears very much like you are experiencing the damaging impact of having been bullied.

At the very same time you report "mood swings" and that may indicate Bipolar Disorder. What I suggest you do is to make an appointment with a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist to have your self diagnosed in the event that you are dealing with Bipolar Disorder.

Whatever the diagnosis may be I highly recommend psychotherapy to help you deal with and resolve the issues and problems you have struggled with as a result of having been bullied.