1-888-993-3112

Where Can I Get The Energy

Question:

I have Bipolar and two children. I am trying to do the best I can but feel like I am losing the battle. How can I make myself feel joy and happiness so my kids can have good memories when they were little. I just want to watch TV but I don’t because I know it isn’t good for them. They can tell that I am not happy when we do things and it is affecting them. I hope this makes sense but I am struggling in a deep dark pit. How can I pull myself out.

Answer:

Bipolar disorder responds quite well to two approaches. The first is the use of the correct medication. I assume that you are being treated by a psychiatrist and are on the correct medication. However, it is always important to remain in touch with the psychiatrist because it is often necessary to make adjustments to medication dosages and, at times, add another medication. I sincerely hope that you do have a psychiatrist, are taking medication and speak to him regularly.

The second approach, to be used in conjunction with medication, is to be in psychotherapy. Bipolar disorder responds well to Cognitive Behavioral Psychotherapy. It is important that you see a therapist who specializes in using that type of therapy.

If you are not doing either of these things it is important that you act quickly and get both kinds of help. First, you need to consult a psychiatrist and he can refer you for psychotherapy. In addition, maintain regular contact with the psychiatrist, including between meetings when and if you are having problems.

Your problem is treatable but you must act fast. Some people stop taking their medications and that becomes a problem. If that is the case, contact the psychiatrist and resume your meds.

By the way, it is important that you refrain from using alcohol and other types of addictive drugs.