Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Where Can I Get The Energy


I have Bipolar and two children. I am trying to do the best I can but feel like I am losing the battle. How can I make myself feel joy and happiness so my kids can have good memories when they were little. I just want to watch TV but I don’t because I know it isn’t good for them. They can tell that I am not happy when we do things and it is affecting them. I hope this makes sense but I am struggling in a deep dark pit. How can I pull myself out.

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

Bipolar disorder responds quite well to two approaches. The first is the use of the correct medication. I assume that you are being treated by a psychiatrist and are on the correct medication. However, it is always important to remain in touch with the psychiatrist because it is often necessary to make adjustments to medication dosages and, at times, add another medication. I sincerely hope that you do have a psychiatrist, are taking medication and speak to him regularly.

The second approach, to be used in conjunction with medication, is to be in psychotherapy. Bipolar disorder responds well to Cognitive Behavioral Psychotherapy. It is important that you see a therapist who specializes in using that type of therapy.

If you are not doing either of these things it is important that you act quickly and get both kinds of help. First, you need to consult a psychiatrist and he can refer you for psychotherapy. In addition, maintain regular contact with the psychiatrist, including between meetings when and if you are having problems.

Your problem is treatable but you must act fast. Some people stop taking their medications and that becomes a problem. If that is the case, contact the psychiatrist and resume your meds.

By the way, it is important that you refrain from using alcohol and other types of addictive drugs.

Best of Luck

More "Ask Dr. Schwartz" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand