Need help breaking free from addiction?
Call 24/7 for treatment options. Who Answers?

Where Do I Start To Get On The Road To Recovery


i am 19 years old and i have been struggling with anorexia for about 2 has gotten worse over the past year…my problem seems to be that when i am mad or upset i dont eat and when i have a problem..i just focus on that problem and nothing else until i have that problem solved..i have just now noticed how much weight i have lost and it scares me because now i am starting to have chest pains..i am going through a really rough time with my boyfriend right now and that isnt helping me..i want to get help..i just dont know where to start

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

Actually, it is a good thing that you have noticed how much weight you have lost. One of the major problems connected with anorexia nervosa is that young women do not seem to see or realize the fact that they are losing weight. It becomes difficult to treat someone who insists that there is no problem. Therefore, I want to both congratulate you for your self awareness and assure you that help is available.

Judging from your E. Mail you stop eating when you are upset or worried about a problem. You then obsess about that problem, blocking out everything else in your life.

I want to recommend that you see a licensed clinical social worker or psychologist or psychiatrist who has expertise in treating anorexia and depression. My educated guess is that you are dealing with depression and anxiety resulting in loss of appetite and weight. A good recommendation would for you to be evaluated for depression and anorexia and a combination of medication and psychotherapy to help you learn healthier ways to cope with the problems that arise in your life.

If you are a college student on campus then you could start by going to the counseling or health center at the school and they could get you started on treatment. Many schools have counseling departments that include a full staff of mental health professionals including a psychiatrist and general medical doctor.

If you are not a college student then you could start by seeing your primary care provider (your family doctor) and have that person examine you and refer you for further help.

Another recommendation is that you do an Internet Search for eating disorder treatment centers in your community.

Please do not delay and start to get the help for your self that will allow you to move on with your life in a happier and more fulfilling way.

Good Luck

More "Ask Dr. Schwartz" View Columnists


Call the Helpline Toll-FREE

To Get Treatment Options Now.

1-888-993-3112 Who Answers? 100% Confidential

Get Help For You or a Loved One Here...

Click Here for More Info.


Call The Toll-FREE Helpline 24/7 To Get Treatment Options Now.

100% Confidential
Get Treatment Options From Your Phone... Tap to Expand