1-888-993-3112

Why Am I Thinking Like This?

Question:

When every thing gets to me and I’m down and panicky I feel as though I’m not me, if that makes any sense.  I’ve thought these thoughts for years but I’ve just read something on one of these websites and it is excactly how I feel from time to time. I feel as though I just want to get out of my self.  I feel as though I’m not me and I feel like a robot just going through the day. I feel empty and its awful. When I talk I think some one else is talking but its me of course. When I do things I think, “did I decide to do that? I sometimes look in the mirror and think I’m not me. Its really weird and scary. Some one mentioned on the blog about personality disorder. Could this be what it is ?

Answer:

While it is possible that you are suffering from a personality disorder is also impossible to provide you with any kind of reliable diagnosis over the Internet.  That is why it is important that you seek the help of a clinical psychologist who upon examination can give you a reliable diagnosis and recommendation for psychotherapy.  There is no question that your symptoms are extremely painful for you and that they demand that you give them the necessary attention.  Today there is no reason to suffer because help is available.

What I can do is offer some possibilities of what might be going on for you.  The kind of symptoms you are describing are sometimes called depersonalization.  This can occur as a result of having suffered a series of traumas.  For example, if you experienced child abuse during your childhood is possible that those experiences left you with this strange feeling of being outside of yourself that you describe.  Sometimes, post traumatic stress disorder can result in the same of very strange feeling.

Along with this is also possible that you experience major depression.  During episodes of depression you would be more likely to have an out of body experience that you talk about.

I strongly urge you to go for a consultation with a clinical psychologist so that you can begin getting help for this condition now.

Best of luck