I have been suicidal for a 1 yr now and it is taking a big part in life. I have a wonderful friend that cares but the main question is will I ever get better?
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
I have spent the past thirty years working with people who experience deep depression and I can report to you that you have every reason to hope that you will recover.
I am assuming that you are receiving treatment from a psychiatrist who is prescribing the necessary medications. In addition, it is my hope that you are receiving psychotherapy for you depression, especially Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
I understand that you have been feeling bad for a full year now and it sometimes takes time for the Doctors to find the correct medications and at the correct doses. I want to urge you to speak to your psychiatrist and always inform him when you are not feeling well. Also, always let him/her know when you are having suicidal thoughts.
I fully understand how difficult this is for you because depression feels so awful. I also know and have seen how with hope and with treatment people recover from depression.
Remember, tomorrow is another day and where there is life there is always hope.
Best of Luck