I’ve noticed for the past few months that my wife (41) of one year masturbates everyday….many times a day. She is very secret about it and tries to hide it from me. I’ve known her for 5 years and the sex has been great until we moved in together and got married. When I say something about it she denies everything all the time and she gets mad at me for thinking that she is. I’m very open to sex but she is leaving me out and our intimacy is almost gone. What should I do?
- ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
- ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
The problem is not your wife’s masturbation (which is maybe on the high side, but not out of the range of normal). All that behavior signifies is that she has a healthy sexual appetite. The problem is why is she not sharing that appetite with you, her husband? Something is wrong in your marriage that you two are not able to be comfortably intimate together. I think you should directly express your feeling of missing that intimacy you used to share with your wife. There is no real need to bring up the masturbation, I don’t think. Rather, you want to talk about your hurt feelings and your desires for the marriage, and you want to encourage her to talk about why she might be withdrawn from you. To facilitate this discussion, you might want to engage the services of a marriage counselor. Good luck.