1-888-993-3112

Worried About Thoughts

Question:

I often have weird thoughts, like "everyone should just go die" and "I hate everyone". It’s little thoughts in the back of my head, and I don’t only think them in anger. A long with those, I find myself irrationally angry at people who are better than me, or do something I do. It often couples with thoughts of how I need to be better than everyone and when I’m not, I get depressed and sometimes start drifting slightly from reality. I sometimes even think little suicidal thoughts. I want to know if this is anything I should be worried about, or if I’m just over-hyping the whole thing.

Answer:

It is not that you should be "worried" about the symptoms you describe but you are not "over-hyping the whole thing." In other words, what you are describing sounds a lot like depression and low self-esteem. Also, feeling irrationally angry and having suicidal thoughts are both concerning. What this all means is that you should see a psychotherapist who is either a Psychiatrist, Clinical Psychologist or Licensed Clinical Social Worker. One of them can then evaluate you and determine what is going on.

Based on that evaluation, the mental health practitioner will recommend a course of action for you to follow so that you are no longer bothered by these symptoms. The course of action most often recommended is psychotherapy. I would suggest that Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy be a least partially included with your treatment. The reason for this is that CBT will give you the chance to do homework assignments that will enable you to learn more healthy types of thinking instead of those that are intruding into your life at the present moment. Also, if you are getting angry very fast and getting into confrontations your therapy should include anger management. Finally, if you and the therapist believe that you would be helped by anti depressant medication along with the therapy then that would be the next step.

It appears to me that you are experiencing very uncomfortable symptoms and should seek help so that you can live in ways that help to feel a lot better about yourself and others.