1-888-993-3112

Young Love

Question:

My son has been involved with a young lady since the age of 15. They recently broke up because of his excessive compulsion to be dominant. He is now heart broken, and does not want to give up. He tells me she is his everything. I realize that young love hurts, but what can I do to help? He is 18 now, and I don’t want him to stop living a productive life because of this girl.

Answer:

Break-ups are hard…period. Your son is going though a rough time right now. It’s going to take time for your son to get over this girl. Sooner or later though he will realize that it is over and he will move on. There is no set time for healing a broken heart. There are so many opportunities for your son after he graduates from high school. If he is planning on going to college, then picking out the right school is a major decision. Finding a job is also a large step. I have a feeling that these decisions he will soon have to make will take his mind off his problems. He will also be exposed to many new people after he graduates. A popular belief is that meeting new people is the best way to get over someone. Remember, we learn from our mistakes. Hopefully your son has learned something from this. Perhaps he won’t be so overbearing in future relationships. Just give him time to adjust to everything. If his situation doesn’t seem to change, then I suggest that he speak to a therapist. Hopefully it won’t come to that. I hope everything works out for your son. Best of luck, – Anne