Sally Connolly, LCSW, LMFT has been a therapist for over 30 years, specializing in work with couples, families and relationships. She has expertise with clients ...Read More
The holidays are upon us. For some, this is an exciting and wonderful time. For others it is dreaded and avoided where ever possible. For everyone, it can be a time of poor habits and self-care. Take this quiz to find out if you are a candidate to experience stress this season.
Answer True or False to each of these questions to develop a sense of how you will be impacted by the holidays.
Give yourself 1 point for each false statement.
Give yourself 2 points for each false statement.
- I am not providing care for any ill or disabled family member.
- I have not had any major losses over the last 2 years.
- I have enough money to cover my basic needs.
- I had a reasonably happy childhood with fond memories of the holidays.
- I am never affected by the “Holiday Blues”.
- My health, physically, mentally and emotionally is good.
1 or 2 points. Good for you. You have a reasonable level of stress and, with healthy self awareness and self care, you should be able to really enjoy this time.
3-4 points. You are clearly a candidate for burning out over the holidays. Talk over your situation with someone you can count on to be a good sounding board or offer simple and specific advice for how to relax and enjoy this time.
5 or more points. Think seriously about what you can do to change your situation, if possible. Put out the red flag and wave it.
Think about who you can call on to be there for you? Decide what do you need to do to get support and relief? Muster your courage or let down your guard and ask for help.