Am I Crazy?


I think that I have a mental illness. I am only 16. I told my mom that I think I need to go to a therapist, but she just thinks that my irritability to little things is an “attitude”. My mom is a nurse and she’s scaring me. If I don’t get help could I get worse? I get depressed over little things or nothing at all. What is wrong with me? How do I get my mom to get me help before I get worse?

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
  • ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
  • Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
  • ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

Seeing a therapist can help you become less affected by trivial things. If you have only told your mother once or twice that you would like to see a therapist, I suggest telling her again, so that she knows you are serious. Also tell her why you want to see a therapist because she may not know why. If you cannot get her to understand, there are often school psychologists (this is different than a guidance counselor) that you can talk to for free, or community mental health centers in most areas. Looking in the phone book will help you locate them. They are often free too and can help you if your mother remains resistant. Hope this helps, – Anne

More "Ask Anne" View Columnists

Myndfulness App

Designed to Help You Feel Better Daily

Myndfuless App Rating

Download Now For Free

Learn More >