Response Appreciated..


hello doctor i am a 20 years old male since i was 16 i started feeling something that i find it hard to describe what it is , it feels like i am loosing my self , or my personality fading and coming back … this things happens for 30 seconds and then everythings returns to normal i am very worried that this thing cannot be treatred or it will affect my life regards

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

First, let me assure you that you can be treated for the symptoms that are affecting you and causing you so much worry. You need to speak to your doctor and be referred a psychiatrist for evaluation and medication or to a psychologist for evaluation, diagnosis and psychotherapy. If you need medication, your psychologist can refer you for medication.

The question is what is happening to you? We can speculate about a number of possibilities but, please remember, we do not have a lot of information about you.


One possibility is that you are experiencing symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. The sense of losing you self or of fading could be a form of Depersonalization that can happen to people when they have been through a terrible trauma. As a twenty year old perhaps you were in Iraq. If not, you may have been in a traffic accident, the victim of a crime or you experienced severe traumas while you were growing up and are now having these symptoms.

There are also responses to trauma that are known as referred Fugue States, Amnesia, Depersonalization and Multiple Personality Disorder. These are problems are the result of suffering terrible and overwhelming traumas during childhood. Sexual molestation, massive child abuse, child neglect and other such types of disasters that were ongoing during childhood can create the types of disorder mentioned above.

Therapists are Standing By to Treat Your Depression, Anxiety or Other Mental Health Needs

Explore Your Options Today


Yet another possibility is that you are beginning to experience the onset of some type of psychotic disorder. I do not know if you are experiencing auditory and visual hallucinations but, if you are, then you could have some type of psychosis. Even some forms of psychosis can be responses to extreme stress and trauma.

I will mention one more possibility and that is that you could be experiencing severe anxiety and panic attacks.

Whatever is going on for you I want to repeat and reassure you that help is fully available and, with that help, you can overcome these symptoms. This is why there is psychogical testing and evaluation and this is why there are all types of wonderful medications.

Do not wait, go and get help now and best of luck.

More "Ask Dr. Schwartz" View Columnists

Myndfulness App

Designed to Help You Feel Better Daily

Myndfuless App Rating

Download Now For Free

Learn More >