How Do I Get My Husband To The Psychiatrist?


My husband, just like the case you wrote about on this website, has delusional jealousy. In the case you wrote about, the patient is taking medication. My husband does not even realize that he needs help. Everybody I speak to says that there is nothing I can do unless he himself contacts the doctor. But how can he contact the doctor if he does not know that he needs help? Full Circle!

I cannot just watch him lose his mind. My husband is asking for a divorce!

This Disclaimer applies to the Answer Below
  • Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
  • Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
  • Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
  • No correspondence takes place.
  • No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
  • Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
  • Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.

You state that your husband is losing his mind. However, the fact that your husband is jealous does not mean that he is losing his mind unless he shows signs of dementia. In cases of dementia and Alzheimers disease, people have what is called “diminished capacity.” This means that they are not able to make decisions because they are proven to not know the consequences of what they decide. Only a psychiatrist, after doing a “Mental Status Exam” as well as some other tests, can make such a determination about reduced capacity. On it’s own, delusional jealousy does not fall under the catergory of reduced capacity.

If your husband is older and is showing signs of dementia, then, you can speak to his medical doctor, ask for advice and bring him in for an examination. If the doctor agrees there is a problem, he can guide things towards the next step.


If he is showing signs of a psychotic illness, and that means that he is hearing voices and showing other signs of psychosis, it still does not mean he cannot get a divorce. In and of itself, mental illness cannot stop someone from divorcing. As long as a person is not in danger of committing suicide or homicide, they can sue for divorce.

There are people who are jealous enough to want a divorce. The falsely accused wife or husband can encourage going to a marriage therapist to work out their differences. Only if the jealous spouse wants to go for joint counseling can it happen. There is nothing abnormal about wanting a divorce because of feeling distrustful and jealous.

Therapists are Standing By to Treat Your Depression, Anxiety or Other Mental Health Needs

Explore Your Options Today


It is understandable that this is painful for you. It is never easy to face a divorce, especially when you are being accused of something you did not do. Nevertheless, unless he agrees to join you in marriage therapy there is nothing you can do.

Best of luck

More "Ask Dr. Schwartz" View Columnists

Myndfulness App

Designed to Help You Feel Better Daily

Myndfuless App Rating

Download Now For Free

Learn More >