Positive affirmations are statements that individuals repeat to themselves, usually on a daily basis, that can help improve self-esteem and increase self-confidence. Affirmations can be particularly beneficial for individuals who struggle with mental health issues, such as anxiety and low-self esteem.
When practiced regularly, affirmative statements help replace negative thoughts with positive thoughts, which can lead to increased happiness and a more positive and hopeful state of mind. Repetition is the key to affirmations, and research has shown that the practice may actually provide coping skills that help people react differently to stress and manage anxious symptoms.(1)
- Positive Affirmations for Anxiety
- Daily Affirmations for Social Anxiety
- Affirmations for Depression
- Self-Esteem Affirmations
- Daily Motivational Affirmations
- Positive Affirmations for Confidence
- Healing Affirmations
- The Benefits of Practicing Affirmations for Mental Health
Mental health is just as important as physical health. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), good mental health is essential in all life stages. While individuals with poor mental health aren’t always diagnosed with mental illnesses, aspects such as stress, being a caregiver, and financial problems can affect a person’s overall mental health.(2)
Therapists are Standing By to Treat Your Depression, Anxiety or Other Mental Health Needs
Explore Your Options Today
Starting each morning by reciting affirmations can help create a positive mindset that lasts throughout the day. Over time, the habit of thinking positively versus focusing on negative thoughts may greatly improve a person’s outlook on life.
Positive Affirmations for Anxiety
Reciting daily positive affirmations can help individuals who struggle with anxiety and other mental health issues learn to focus on the present moment and be grateful for everything that’s good and hopeful in their lives.
Putting complete focus on each affirmation as it’s spoken, read, or listened to can prevent those with anxiety from worrying about what may happen in the future. With consistent practice, individuals may find it easier to manage their anxiety levels.
While specific results can vary depending on the extent of a person’s anxiety, repeating positive statements, reading mental health affirmations, or listening to prerecorded affirmations for anxiety may help anxious individuals feel calm, centered, and safe.(3)
- I release all anxiety and embrace calmness and peace.
- I am capable of managing my thoughts and feelings, and I choose to focus on positivity and joy.
- My mind is clear and calm, and I am in control of my emotions.
- I choose to let go of worries and trust in my ability to handle whatever comes my way.
- I am surrounded by love and support, and I feel safe and secure.
- My breathing is slow and steady, and I am relaxed and at ease.
- I am grateful for all that I have, and I trust that everything will work out for my highest good.
- I am strong and resilient, and I can overcome any challenge with grace and ease.
- I choose to focus on the present moment, and I am free from worry and anxiety about the future.
- I am at peace with myself and my surroundings, and I trust that everything will unfold perfectly.
- I trust myself and my ability to handle any situation that comes my way.
- I release all worry and choose to focus on the present moment.
- I am safe and secure, and I trust that everything is working out for my highest good.
- I let go of all fear and embrace a calm and peaceful mindset.
- I am in control of my thoughts and emotions, and I choose to focus on positivity.
- I trust in the universe’s plan for me and know that everything will work out in the end.
- I am surrounded by love and support, and I choose to let go of any negative energy.
- I choose to let go of all anxiety and embrace a sense of inner peace.
- I am strong and capable, and I trust that I can handle anything that comes my way.
- I let go of all negative thoughts and embrace positivity and abundance in my life.
How Can Reciting Affirmations Reduce My Anxiety?
When positive daily affirmations are repeated on a regular basis, the practice can help individuals feel calm and centered, which may aid in reducing anxious, racing thoughts. When positive thinking replaces negative thought patterns that contribute to anxiety, a person’s sense of self-worth and overall confidence can increase.
Anxiety and low self-confidence tend to go hand-in-hand. Anxiety can contribute to a person’s lack of confidence in their abilities, creating a cycle of doubt and fear. Practicing daily affirmations can help break that cycle because the positive statements that a person reads, recites, or listens to filter into the subconscious mind and have the power to alter negative thought patterns. When a negative thought or feeling occurs, someone who’s committed to practicing mental health affirmations regularly may instinctively ignore the thought and choose to think or act in a more positive way.
While daily affirmations aren’t a complete cure for anxiety, the practice can be a helpful tool that aids in recovery from the condition. Reciting affirmations such as “I am brave,” “I am protected,” and “I am capable” when facing fearful situations can promote a sense of calm and reduce symptoms of anxiety and/or panic attacks.(4)
Daily Affirmations for Social Anxiety
Practicing affirmations for social anxiety may help individuals who feel uncomfortable in social situations calm their anxious thoughts and feel more peaceful inside when interacting with others. These affirmations can be used as part of a daily stress management practice upon waking or immediately prior to bedtime as a way to relax and unwind at the end of the day.
Individuals can also recite the positive statements in “real-time” when they start feeling anxious or uncomfortable during a social event, when working, or while in school. Repeating these helpful affirmations may help calm the mind, eliminate anxious thoughts, and allow the individual to stay focused on the present moment.
- I am worthy of love and connection just as I am. I am enough.
- I trust in my ability to handle any situation that comes my way.
- I release the need to impress others and instead focus on being authentic and true to myself.
- My worth is not based on the opinions or judgments of others.
- I am capable of forming deep and meaningful connections with others.
- I allow myself to feel uncomfortable in social situations without judgment or shame.
- I choose to focus on the present moment and enjoy the company of those around me.
- I am deserving of respect and kindness from others, and I treat myself with the same compassion.
- I trust in my own abilities and strengths to navigate social situations with ease and grace.
- I am free from the constraints of social anxiety, and I embrace the joy and beauty of connecting with others.
- I am confident in social situations and feel at ease around others.
- I am worthy of love and acceptance, just as I am.
- I release my fear of judgment and trust in my ability to connect with others.
- My authenticity is my strength, and I am comfortable being myself in social situations.
- I attract positive and supportive people into my life who uplift and encourage me.
- I am grateful for the relationships in my life and focus on the love and connection they bring.
- My self worth is not determined by others’ opinions of me, but by my own self love and acceptance.
- I choose to focus on the present moment and let go of worries about the future or regrets about the past.
- I am capable of handling any social situation that comes my way with grace and ease.
- I trust in my ability to form meaningful connections with others and am open to new experiences and friendships.
How Can Saying These Positive Statements Help My Social Anxiety?
Individuals who struggle with social anxiety often avoid social situations because they fear they may experience panic attacks or become anxious when speaking or interacting with other people. Reciting mental health affirmations before attending a social gathering or going to work in the morning can help quiet negative self-talk and boost feelings of positive energy.
By making the self-care practice of reciting positive affirmations each day a priority, individuals may be able to retrain their subconscious minds in a healthy way. Instead of looking at a social situation, a day at work, or even a trip to the grocery store as something that provokes anxiety, affirmations can help change the individual’s viewpoint from negative to positive.
Social anxiety affirmations work by training the subconscious mind to react differently to situations that the individual may perceive as threatening. Fear and feeling threatened are common factors that contribute to social anxiety.
Practicing positive affirmations may help “soften” underlying anxiety and fear when the individual is confronted with something threatening or fearful. Plus, reduced anxiety is linked to improved self-esteem. When a person feels confident and good about themselves after reciting positive affirmations, they may change their view on situations they found threatening or dangerous in the past.(5)
Affirmations for Depression
Affirmations for depression can serve as a beneficial self-care tool when combined with therapeutic methods, such as mental health counseling and medications. Affirmations can help an individual who struggles with feelings of depression incorporate simple statements of positivity and hope into their daily life.
A daily affirmation practice can give an individual’s self-esteem a healthy boost, which may also help lift their mood and reduce symptoms of depression. Reciting self-affirming statements, such as “I am loved” and “my depression does not define me,” may help the individual see “light at the end of the tunnel” and feel less alone in their struggles.(6)
- I am worthy of love and respect, and I choose to surround myself with people who treat me well.
- I am capable of overcoming any challenge that comes my way.
- I am grateful for the little things in life, and I focus on the positive aspects of every situation.
- I release any negative thoughts or emotions and embrace peace and happiness.
- I am a valuable and unique individual, and I have much to offer the world.
- I am in control of my thoughts and emotions, and I choose to let go of any negativity.
- I trust my intuition and make decisions that align with my values and beliefs.
- I am capable of achieving my goals and living the life I desire.
- I forgive myself for any past mistakes and focus on the present moment.
- I am resilient and have the strength to overcome any obstacle.
- Love and respect are essential for my well-being. I choose to surround myself with people who share these values and treat me kindly.
- Life is full of challenges, but I trust in my abilities to face them and find solutions. I am resilient and capable of adapting to any situation.
- I make a conscious effort to appreciate the beauty in life, no matter how small. By focusing on the positive aspects of every situation, I cultivate gratitude and joy.
- Negativity can drain my energy and affect my mood. Instead, I choose to release negative thoughts and emotions and welcome peace and happiness into my life.
- Each of us has unique gifts and talents to offer the world. I recognize my own value and strive to use my strengths to make a positive impact on others.
- My thoughts and emotions are within my control. When negative thoughts arise, I choose to let them go and focus on positive affirmations and solutions instead.
- My intuition is a powerful tool that guides me towards the best decisions for myself. By trusting in my inner wisdom, I can make choices that align with my values and beliefs.
- I have the power to create the life I desire. With clear goals and consistent effort, I am capable of achieving anything I set my mind to.
- Forgiveness is a gift I give to myself. By letting go of past mistakes, I free myself to fully embrace the present moment and move forward with a positive outlook.
- Life is full of ups and downs, but I am resilient and capable of overcoming any obstacle. With determination and perseverance, I can grow stronger and wiser through adversity.
Do Positive Affirmations for Depression Really Work?
Depression is a mental health condition that often requires professional intervention and treatment with medications and/or psychotherapy. Affirmations for depression can’t cure the condition, but committing to an affirmation practice along with professional treatment may help the individual create a more positive mindset.
Self-affirmation techniques offer mental health benefits, such as reducing feelings of self-doubt and turning negative beliefs into positive thoughts and actions. Committing to a daily affirmation practice may be challenging at first for some people who struggle with depression. This is because the emotions, such as sadness and self-doubt, can make it difficult for certain individuals to feel that things are ever going to improve.
However, when used in conjunction with conventional treatments, positive affirmations may make it easier for sufferers to recognize negative thought patterns. Over time, affirmative thoughts and ideas can become deeply ingrained in the subconscious, and the individual may find that they react positively to potentially triggering situations.(7)
When a person suffers from low self-esteem and lacks self-confidence, negative thoughts are often at the forefront. These thoughts can interfere with the individual’s ability to find joy in everyday life, as they’re constantly doubting their abilities. Self-esteem affirmation practices can help promote positive change and improve self-confidence.
When a person believes that they’re worthy of love, affection, and lasting relationships with friends and partners, they may look at life as a fun, exciting adventure instead of feeling hopeless and unworthy. This can create a beautiful ripple effect of improved self-confidence and self-love.
- I am worthy of love and respect, just as I am.
- I have confidence in my abilities and trust that I can achieve my goals.
- I am proud of who I am and embrace my unique qualities.
- I choose to focus on my strengths and celebrate my accomplishments.
- I am deserving of success and will not let fear hold me back.
- I am enough, and I trust that I have all that I need within me.
- I love and accept myself unconditionally, including my flaws and imperfections.
- I am capable of handling any challenge that comes my way.
- I am worthy of happiness and fulfillment in all areas of my life.
- I am confident in my decisions and trust myself to make choices that align with my values and goals.
- My worth is not determined by external factors, but by the inherent value I possess as a human being.
- I believe in myself and my capabilities, and I trust that I can achieve my goals through hard work and dedication. I know that I am capable of overcoming any obstacle that comes my way.
- I am proud of my individuality and embrace my unique qualities, knowing that they make me special and valuable. I celebrate the things that make me different and recognize that they are what set me apart from others.
- I choose to focus on my strengths and celebrate my accomplishments. By recognizing my abilities and acknowledging my successes, I cultivate a sense of confidence and self — assurance.
- I am deserving of success and will not let fear hold me back. I trust in my abilities and my potential to succeed, and I am willing to take risks and step outside of my comfort zone in order to achieve my dreams.
- I trust that I have all that I need within me to succeed, and I am worthy of love, respect, and happiness. By believing in myself and my abilities, I am able to overcome obstacles and achieve my goals.
- I recognize that my imperfections make me unique and human, and I choose to embrace them rather than dwell on them.
- I trust in my abilities and my resilience, knowing that I am capable of finding solutions to even the toughest problems. By staying positive and believing in myself, I am able to overcome adversity and grow stronger through the process.
- Happiness and fulfillment are essential aspects of a fulfilling life, and I am worthy of both. I choose to pursue my passions and interests, and to surround myself with people and experiences that bring me joy and fulfillment.
- By listening to my inner voice and following my intuition, I am able to make choices that bring me closer to the life I desire.
Will Practicing These Affirmations Reduce My Negative Thoughts?
Research has shown that practicing affirmations for mental health on a regular basis may activate the brain’s reward centers that are responsible for feeling happiness, joy, and positivity. Every time a person thinks positive thoughts instead of unhelpful thoughts, the brain rewards them with positive feelings.(8)
However, it’s not as simple as just reciting a phrase, such as “I am blessed” or “I am happy,” and affirmations don’t magically remove negative thoughts from a person’s mind. Repetition is key when it comes to affirmations, as the statements must permeate the subconscious mind to create positive change and improved well-being.
Plus, the individual reciting the affirmations must want to truly break free from their negative thinking patterns and fully commit to practicing affirmations. It’s also important for individuals to be patient with themselves when they first start reciting affirmations and understand that changing negative thoughts that are deeply ingrained can take time.
As a person begins to believe in themselves with the help of positive mental health affirmations, they may find their negative thinking patterns are significantly reduced. They might start to look at challenges and setbacks with a new perspective and take steps toward fulfilling life goals and dreams.
Daily Motivational Affirmations
Reciting daily mental health affirmations that focus on motivation can help a person stay motivated when dealing with a stressful situation or when navigating the ups and downs of life. Motivational affirmations help people stay focused on achieving daily goals and lifelong dreams. Reciting helpful statements, such as “I am getting better every day” and “I am strong,” can motivate people to do their best to improve their overall wellness and health, while phrases such as “I am confident” and “I have everything I need at this moment” work well to motivate people to keep going, even when situations are tough.
- I am capable of achieving my goals and reaching my full potential.
- I choose to let go of negative thoughts and focus on positivity and growth.
- I am worthy of love, respect, and success in all areas of my life.
- I have the power to overcome any obstacle and create the life I desire.
- I trust my intuition and make decisions that align with my values and goals.
- I am confident in my abilities and believe in myself.
- I am resilient and can bounce back from any setback or challenge.
- I am grateful for all that I have and look forward to what the future holds.
- I am deserving of happiness, joy, and fulfillment in my personal and professional life.
- I am constantly learning, growing, and improving as a person.
- I am confident in my skills and knowledge, and I am committed to continuously learning and growing.
- I let go of negative thoughts and beliefs that hold me back and instead embrace the opportunities that come my way.
- I treat myself with kindness and compassion, and I know that I deserve the best that life has to offer.
- I am in control of my thoughts, feelings, and actions, and I use this power to achieve my goals and fulfill my dreams.
- I listen to my inner voice and trust that it will guide me in the right direction.I know that I have the skills, knowledge, and experience to succeed in anything I set my mind to. I am not afraid to take risks and try new things.
- I know that failure is not a sign of weakness, but rather an opportunity to learn and grow.
- I appreciate the people, opportunities, and experiences that have shaped my life, and I am excited for what is yet to come.
- I am committed to creating a life that brings me joy and satisfaction.
- I embrace new challenges and experiences as opportunities to learn and develop.
- I am open to feedback and willing to make changes to improve myself and my life.
Can Motivational Statements Improve Mental Health?
Some research has shown that, when combined with other treatments, such as therapy, reciting motivational affirmations may help improve self-esteem in individuals with mental health conditions.(9) Low self-esteem is a common trait in individuals with conditions such as depression and anxiety, and improving one’s self-esteem in these instances may also improve mental health.(10)
Reciting motivating mental health affirmations can help individuals create inner strength and develop the courage to handle challenges that life throws their way. By staying focused on the present moment when reciting affirmations that motivate and encourage self-love and happiness, individuals may find that they’re able to release tension and overcome challenges with ease.
Individuals who struggle with mental health issues, such as anxiety and low self-esteem, may benefit by reciting affirmations first thing in the morning, upon waking. When the mind is fresh and free of the day’s stressors, morning affirmations can shift a person’s mindset from negative to positive, and this can help them stay motivated throughout the day.(11)
While motivational statements alone aren’t a cure for mental health conditions or disorders, creating a daily practice can help rewire the subconscious mind into choosing positive thoughts over negative thoughts. A positive mindset allows people to look at life with a fresh perspective and learn to focus on their gifts and blessings.
Positive Affirmations for Confidence
Daily affirmations for confidence can help encourage happy thoughts and build mental strength. When a person is confident, they possess the inner strength and coping tools necessary to handle life’s challenges. Confident people make brave, bold choices, and they’re not afraid to go for what they want in life.
Reciting daily affirmations, such as “I am confident,” “I am brave,” and “I accept that life can be challenging,” may help someone who lacks confidence build their inner strength and truly start to believe in their own abilities. Having confidence in oneself can have a positive effect on many aspects of life, from applying for high-ranking job positions to finding life partners.
- I am confident in my abilities and trust that I can handle anything that comes my way.
- I am worthy of love and respect just as I am.
- I am capable of achieving my goals and dreams.
- I am proud of who I am and what I have accomplished.
- I am deserving of happiness and success.
- I am grateful for my strengths and work to improve my weaknesses.
- I choose to focus on my positive qualities and embrace my unique traits.
- I am confident in my ability to make wise decisions for myself.
- I trust my instincts and intuition to guide me in the right direction.
- I am proud of myself for overcoming challenges and persevering through difficult times.
- I trust in my own judgment and decision — making skills.
- I deserve to be treated with love and respect, and I extend that same kindness and respect to myself.
- I possess the skills and resources necessary to make my dreams a reality, and I trust myself to take the necessary steps to accomplish them.
- I am proud of the progress I have made and recognize the hard work and dedication it took to get to where I am today.
- I trust that the universe supports my positive intentions and that I am capable of achieving all that I desire.
- I strive to learn and grow every day, recognizing that each experience is an opportunity for growth.
- I recognize that my qualities make me who I am and that I should celebrate them rather than try to change them.
- I take the time to consider my options and make thoughtful, informed choices that align with my values and goals.
- I trust that the universe supports my positive intentions and will lead me to where I am meant to be.
- I recognize the strength and resilience within myself and celebrate the progress I have made in my personal growth and development.
What Are the Benefits of a Self-Affirmation Practice?
Committing to self-affirmation practice has many benefits. Positive daily affirmations serve as a regular reminder that a person is confident, beautiful from the inside out, and worthy of love and healthy relationships.
Research has shown that self-affirmations help improve how an individual reacts to stressful situations by teaching the brain to shift focus and create effective problem-solving skills. Other studies have shown that reciting motivational positive affirmations can boost a person’s overall confidence.(12)
Individuals who feel uncomfortable in social situations or when speaking in public can benefit from reciting affirmations that focus on confidence and inner strength. People looking to make positive changes in their lives may find that reciting affirmations that focus on self-love is particularly helpful.
When practiced every day, whether in the morning or before bedtime, affirmations have the unique ability to change the way people see themselves. Over time, repeated affirming statements naturally sink into the subconscious mind. These deeply ingrained messages can then work their magic in replacing self-doubt and negative thought patterns with positivity, excitement, and hope for the future.
Healing affirmations and positive thoughts help people feel more peaceful inside, whether they’re looking to heal physically or emotionally. These affirmations work to solidify the belief that healing is truly possible, which in turn may help the individual take steps to reduce stress in their lives and practice self-care.
While physical symptoms and potential medical issues should always be assessed by a health care professional, positive affirmations help to calm the mind while the body is in healing mode. If a person wishes to heal from emotional trauma, reciting affirming statements may help them build strength and confidence from within.
- I am worthy of love and compassion, especially from myself.
- I release all negative thoughts and replace them with positive, uplifting ones.
- I am not defined by my past experiences or mistakes. I am constantly growing and evolving.
- I have the strength and resilience to overcome any obstacles that come my way.
- I am in control of my thoughts and emotions, and choose to focus on positivity and gratitude.
- I trust in my ability to handle any challenges that come my way, and I am capable of finding solutions.
- I deserve to prioritize my own mental health and wellbeing, and I make self-care a priority in my life.
- I am worthy of peace and tranquility, and I allow myself to rest and recharge when needed.
- I am grateful for the abundance of positivity and joy in my life, and I attract more of it every day.
- I let go of negative thoughts and embrace positive ones, allowing myself to experience true happiness and inner peace.
- I choose to treat myself with kindness and understanding, even when facing difficult times.
- I choose to see the beauty around me and celebrate my blessings.
- I forgive myself for past mistakes and focus on the present moment.
- I choose to stay positive and believe in my own strength.
- I choose to focus on positivity and gratitude, even when facing challenges. I acknowledge my feelings, but I don’t let them control me.
- I am resourceful and creative, and I choose to approach challenges with a positive attitude.
- I listen to my body and give it what it needs. I take time to rest, exercise, and eat healthy, nourishing foods.
- I take time to slow down and enjoy the simple pleasures in life.
- I choose to focus on what I have, rather than what I lack. I am blessed with an abundance of love, support, and opportunities.
- I choose to see the good in every situation and approach life with a positive attitude.
How Will Daily Affirmations Help Heal My Mind and Body?
Reciting daily healing affirmations may help promote healing of the mind and body by neutralizing negative self-talk and reducing high stress levels. While certain mental health conditions and physical illnesses require medical intervention, incorporating a daily practice of repeating positive affirmations can help lower stress in the body that can contribute to unhealthy habits, such as overeating and smoking.(13)
As a person moves further into their daily practice of repeating positive mental health affirmations, they can learn to live fully in the present moment. By remaining present, individuals can begin to accept the ups and downs of life as they come instead of worrying about what may happen in the future or ruminating on the past. Repetition of affirmative statements allows the subconscious mind to absorb positive beliefs and ideas to the point where they become second nature.
When a person repeats statements such as “I am worthy,” “today, I will accept life as it comes,” and “I am healthy in mind and body,” they’re sending the subconscious mind messages of self-love and self-worth. These messages reinforce positive beliefs, which in turn causes the brain to release chemicals that promote positive well-being for the mind and body.(14)
The Benefits of Practicing Affirmations for Mental Health
Practicing affirmations may help individuals overcome mental health issues, such as anxiety, low self-esteem, and feelings of sadness and isolation. By repeating positive, affirming statements on a regular basis and making a commitment to improving their emotional well-being, an individual may find that affirmations can serve as a highly beneficial tool on their wellness journey.
Life is full of challenges, and there are many situations that individuals are unable to control. While it may not be possible to remain happy and positive at all times, changing one’s mindset from constant negative thinking to looking for the good in situations may help restore feelings of happiness and hope. Reciting affirmative statements upon waking can set the stage for a person’s entire day, while listening to recorded affirmations at bedtime allows the subconscious to absorb positivity as the body and mind rest.
Practicing mental health affirmations is a beneficial form of self-care that can provide amazing results. Whether affirmations are used alone or in conjunction with a mental or physical health treatment plan, research has shown that replacing negative beliefs with positive thoughts can offer many benefits. From reduced stress levels to increased self-confidence and self-esteem, the results of creating and following a daily affirmation practice are truly priceless.