My husband and I have been married for 5 yrs. We had a good sex life until about a year ago, when I just all of a sudden lost interest. My doctor put me on some medication but so far it hasn`t helped me. My husband is being very understanding but for how long?
- ‘Anne’ is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- ‘Anne’ bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by ‘Anne’ to people submitting questions.
- ‘Anne’, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. ‘Anne’ and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
I happen to feel that if you and your husband truly love each other and your intimacy spans more than just sexual intercourse, you should both be able to get through this lull in your sex drive. Clinically, I am not well-versed in the reasons for your loss of interest, however, I can suggest that you not stress yourself out about it. The concern you are placing on your situation could actually be a cause for your behavior. You might also discuss seeking professional help through a therapist that you and your husband would agree upon seeing. He or she may be able suggest new approaches to love-making or help you explore the reasons for your loss of interest. In the meantime, try to be sensitive to your husbands needs. If you are completely disinterested in sexual intercourse, there are other ways to express your love. Think about giving your husband a relaxing massage, or plan a romantic getaway or an evening out on the town to possibly spark some interest. Quite possibly, you may need a break from the rigors, stresses, and time constraints of everyday life. Let yourself relax and let things happen as they come. Hope this helps, – Anne