1-888-993-3112

Loyalty Or Love?

Question:

I have been in a friendship/love affair with my girlfriend in the last 2 years and she is bipolar. In the last few months, this understanding and loving relationship has turned into a tense and hostile one with constant arguments. I have tried to be supportive by attending support group meetings, taking a great deal of workload off of her plate, helping her financially…all to no avail. Her manic episodes have become more and more apparent and now we’ve just recently had a argument that ended up with her physically attacking me. To add to the emotional injury, I just recently discovered that she is sleeping with another man. She and I have talked since her violent outburst and she has apologized for her behaviors and appreciates and loves me but I still can’t get past the betrayal of this not occurring again. I really love her and want to forgive. Will my loyalty be enough to keep the love there in the relationship?

Answer:

Probably not. Loyalty is a wonderful thing, but it is not something you should necessarily make a fetish out of. Loyalty for loyalty’s sake doesn’t make sense. Your loyalty needs to be earned and maintained. There needs to be something positive that you’re going to be getting out of the relationship going forwards or you will eventually burn out, feel trapped, and ultimately feel you need to exit the relationship. No relationship can survive constant and unending bickering and fighting.

Besides the need for you and your girlfriend to figure out ways to nourish each other emotionally and to get back to a more warm and loving energy, you also need to consider if you can handle the significant negatives that are just going to come with this relationship. Bipolar illness is a chronic condition. It is in the nature of bipolar illness for manic and depressive episodes to occur from time to time, especially if patients are not able to be medication compliant at all times. A person in a manic state has her judgment compromised, sometimes very severely. This is where the angry outbursts and promiscuity may be coming from; not from her so much as from her brain being influenced by bipolar disorder. If you’re going to be in a relationship with this woman, these sorts of behaviors are perhaps things you’ll need to be ready to endure from time to time. It’s a lot to ask of any partner to endure promiscuity and chronic arguments, so your loyalty is being and will likely continue to be tested.

This is a complicated situation you’re in, truly. Relationship problems are difficult enough without the added stress of one partner having a chronic illness that compromises her judgment on a regular basis. I think that you both would do very well to seek out marriage/couples counseling with an experienced psychotherapist, preferably one who has some understanding of the nature of bipolar disorder. Your girlfriend needs to commit herself to doing everything she can to follow her psychiatrist’s treatment plan and prescriptions, and she needs to work with him closely (you can help maybe too if she’ll let you) to keep him or her up-to-date on what is working and not working so that the treatment plan can be fine tuned. You both need to find ways to back off the conflict and negative emotions and get back to a place where you can enjoy each other’s company. You might be able to pull this off if you can find a way to pull together. If you cannot find a way to pull together, your conflicts will pull you apart.

How do you cope? In my case, it isn't loyalty, but a deep undying love but I don't know how much longer I can continue to stand by her unless she finally accepts the fact she needs help and seeks it. Things have gotten so bad that I'm ill, and somewhat suicidal. We both need counseling, however, she refuses. It's almost to the point to where she's going to drive me out of her life, which is the last thing in the world I want to happen..

• Linda

...in the sea, that is.

Not to sound cold but a relationship will never work if the commitment isn't coming from both sides. If you've tried all you can do to help, and she isn't interested in helping herself and/or commiting herself to you, then I'd say it's time to move on. You two have learned all you can from each other and will take those lessons with you.

As for being suicidal, BANISH the thought. Heavens! Relationships come and go every day. They're certainly not worth ending a life over...EVER. You will remember the love you have for this women forever, but as soon as you're in a successful relationship (and it WILL happen), you'll see how different and wonderful it can be. And the difficulties you've enduring will make the good relationship even sweeter!

All the best to you!

• Heather

My name is Heather and i am 17 years old. I have severe manic bipolar depession disorder. I can tell you that i feel often irritable and "edgey" when it comes to relationshps. I found the best way for people who care about me to cope with my dissorder is to not push me away but to give me space and talk about my dissorder. When i feel people understand what i am going through or understand the dissorder it often brings me closer to them.

Best of luck

Heather

If you're not married, you need to RUN AWAY as fast as possible! There are many, many normal people out there and you were not put on this earth to be someone's personal whipping boy. People like this won't change. I don't care what any website says, the reality is that it's just too deep a problem to be overcome. Please, for the sake of your own sanity, heed my warning. Get out while you can...before you sign papers! For the past 5 years I have been married to a woman who is insane. She can not relax, everything and anything can set her off, and she genuinely is not happy. She has no sex drive at all and she isn't even interested in minimal affection and closeness. Like a scared cat, she pushes me away constantly. She has lost friends b/c of her maddness and she might very well lose me, too. The most difficult part is that I know she doesn't want to be like this, and she does care for me. But, I just can't continue this lifestyle. If my dad wasn't still alive, I would seriously consider suicide. Fortunately, he's healthy and well, so I would never do that to him. BUt this is how bad she has made me feel about myself, our relationship, and life in general. I feel she will never be happy, no matter what I do.

Been there get rid of her cut all ties with her and move on life is too short to have that kind of drama for years love or not u deserve better.